Friday, June 26, 2009

Una sull'altra (1969)


Dig this clip from Lucio Fulvi's 1969 thriller.

Right, I know. Yes, that's foxy Marisa Mell pulling the change-r-oo in the ladies room. And, yes, that's Riz Ortolani providing a score that sounds like Zal Yanovsky jamming with Oliver Nelson's orchestra. But the real star of the clip is Eero Saarinen's TWA Flight Center at New York's JFK airport. There are a couple of great shots of terminal back when it was first a functioning building. Just beautiful.

I did have the opportunity to pass through the hollowed halls of this architectural masterpiece just once. It was 1998 and I was en route to Barcelona, Spain experiencing an unexpected lay-over in the terminal. It was remarkably well preserved and I, frankly, thought I was in a dream. When I think about the events of the past decade or so which really opened my eyes to great design, this was certainly one of the most important ones.

Of course the happy ending to this post is not only can you now fly out/in to Terminal 5 again thanks to JetBlue, but you can also get your shoes shined there by my favorite San Francisco-based shine company, A. Shine & Co. Book your flight now!

No comments: